Monday, January 09, 2012

Chocolate Cake and the DS revisited

Laugh. I am an inveterate researcher.. so when the idea of using the DS to teach cooperation and problem solving occurred to me, I went looking to see how others had done it. I was interested in the results of my research.  Here then a few links on this issue:

1.Making up rules -- this teacher's blog discusses her use of the DS to teach cooperation and conflict resolution. Way to go!

2.The Nintendo DS: An unlikely teaching tool  (This one discusses the use of the DS in Engineering classes at the University level)

3.Nintendo Goes to School: DS Classroom turns handheld into a teaching tool  This was by far the most common discussion and a rather disturbing discussion I found it. My reading of this is that the DS, instead of being used to create interaction, is being used to put another layer between student and teacher. This is exactly the sort of thing I do NOT like about hand held machines.

So I guess I need to do some work myself and figure out how, rather like the teacher in the first link, I might use the machines to create interaction and teach social skills.

1 comment:

flyin' granny said...

More pedagogical brilliance. Let us know what you come up with. Very interesting.